Wednesday, August 03, 2005

What's up with music these days?

Why is music so bad? If you listen to the radio these days, all that is on is stupidity. From Mike Jones to Lil Jon, it's all bad.
A friend of mine from the south asked me if I was one of those people from the north who didn't like southern rappers because they "are making all the money."

First of all, I could care less if southern rappers are making money. Of course they're making money, people will invest in crappy music because it apparently sells. I mean think about it, music that promotes ignorance (particularly in hip hop) seems to be on the top of the charts. But is that because people like crap, or is it because crap is easier to listen to, because you don't have to think about it too hard. I mean, when you listen to Talib Kweli or Dead Prez or The Roots or Common, you actually have to think. When you listen to the Ying Yang Twins, there is not much cerebral activity necessary.

Secondly, even if bad music was being made in the north (which there is too - 50 Cent, for example), I wouldn't support it either. If the music is stupid, I'm gonna say its stupid, can you dig it?

There needs to be better music for people to listen to. Some of this stuff is almost like poison to the mind.

No comments: