Monday, August 15, 2005

Reading and Listening

I'm currently reading "The Prosaic Soul of Nikki Giovanni." It's a collection of her essays. It's really interesting to read essays by Nikki Giovanni because she's very honest with herself and with what is going on around her. Stuff she wrote in the sixties are the most powerful because the essays are so raw and brutal to "the establishment." I don't think I have read a book that had the word "cracker" appear so many times.
-----

So I'm trying to listen to radio a little more the last couple of weeks, for the purpose of staying slightly relevant.
Okay, I still don't like this Mike Jones brother.... I'm not a fan of Young Jeezy, though the song he does with Jay-Z is pretty tight.
Will someone stop all these people who have the word "Lil'" as part of their names: Lil' Scrappy, Li'l Wayne, Lil' Jon - It gets on my damn nerves. Basically, if you have "Lil'" attached to your name, you're likely to suck. I think that 's the real reason Bow Wow cut that from his name.

Speaking of Bow Wow - okay, I have to admit I kind of like that song with Ciara, "Like You." It's a cute song, and I like the way they do the hook, even though it sounds like they mumble it all the way through.

I'm feeling that Teiarra Marie joint.... The two songs I've heard from Bobby Valentino sound the same, but I can't say I don't turn up the radio when I hear either of them.... I shamefully on occassion have enjoyed the song "Naked" by Marques Houston; I don't know why, it just happens.... I also like the Damian Marley "Welcome to Jamrock" - "out in the streets they call it murdaaaaaa!"

People not getting played enough on radio right now: Teedra Moses, Common, and Goapele.

People getting played too damn much: Gwen Stefani, "Hollaback Girl"; Pretty Ricky, "Grind wit me"; anything by the Ying Yang Twins, Mike Jones, Tony Yayo (what kinda' stupid name is that), and Young Jeezy.

No comments: